President Donald Trump claimed on Monday that he has been taking hydroxychloroquine for about a week and a half to help prevent COVID-19 infection — despite many studies suggesting the drug isn't safe or effective against coronavirus.
TUESDAY, May 19, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- Despite numerous studies suggesting that certain drugs touted by President Donald Trump as "game changers" against coronavirus are actually useless and even harmful, Trump on Monday claimed he has been taking one of them for more than a week.
Trump said he has been taking the drug hydroxychloroquine for about a week and a half in an effort to help prevent infection or illness with SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus. He said he is taking the drug with the approval of the White House physician.
Trump said, "All I can tell you is, so far I seem to be OK," The New York Times reported.